So this week, mental health and depression have been in the forefront. After so many stars like Robin Williams, Marilyn, Prince, Avicci, even this week Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain committing suicide, we are reminded of the tragic reality that depression and anxiety is real and we have to do something about making it normal to talk about. I know some may disagree, and there is a lot of backlash on the impact of the popular show 13 Reasons Why, but as a viewer I appreciate them bringing these serious issues like depression, bullying, self hatred and more out in the open. Without these realities becoming exposed I truly believe there will be zero growth as a community.
I am not a doctor and by no means do I have serious research to back up my hacks, but I do have shitty days. Even though I tend to always strive to look at the world through my rose colored heart shape glasses, and I have never been diagnosed with serious depression or anxiety I sometimes do feel gloomy. I sometimes feel alone. Here are some hacks that help me turn my day around.
*****THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GLOOMY DAY AND SERIOUS DEPRESSION. PLEASE IF YOU ARE SUFFERING AT ALL WITH THESE SERIOUS EMOTIONS CONTACT : Suicide Prevention Hotline , Trevor Project and many more. You are not alone*****
So here are some of my gloomy day hacks that help me turn my day around:
- Cry it out.
- Like Nike Says JUST DO IT. No matter the weight of your situation there is strength in honoring your feelings and the more you tune into these emotions the more you know who you are and the more you’ll gain out of any situation. This has taken me awhile to figure out and I pretty much still am figuring this out…but the more I do pay attention to these lows and let myself feel them out, I am really able to transition faster, but also grow.
- Getting my blood flowing, raising my heartrate for even 20 minutes makes loads of a difference. Try to take a class so you are away from the phone and can tune in to your body and yourself
- Put your feet up against a wall for 5 minutes (benefits of this yoga pose in this post).
- I tend to have bad circulation and when my feet swellup or when I am on my feet all day it makes it harder to function. Basically I just hate being uncomfortable and like to avoid it as much as possible.
- Eat Something
- Sometimes my emotions are uneven because I’m hangry AF. This can be fixed easily and sometimes taking the time to actually take care of yourself is exact thing you need.
- Chill out.
- 6 deep breaths in and out. Full inhales and exhales (maybe 2 minutes of your day) can make a tremendous change to the amount of anxiety you’re feeling
- This too shall pass.
- I remember after one of the hardest breakups I’ve had my dad told me “This too shall pass” and at the time I just rolled my eyes and said, “I love you dad” but now so many years later and so many small and bigger breakups since then, I truly believe what my dad was saying is so true and can be translated into so many different situations.
“Remind yourself, Its ok to not be ok”